To light the way to the house, a meditation area or a vegetable garden. Outdoor lighting is key to the aesthetics and functionality of the outdoor rooms on a plot. From the outdoor terrace, whether open or closed, as well as the garden.
The type of light and its shape plays a very important role in the use and enjoyment of the plot, both during the day and at night. It is essential to choose the right type of lighting, use new technologies for its monitoring and carry out adequate maintenance of the devices to extend their useful life.
Types of outdoor lighting on a plot
The choice of the type of lighting or the combination of several types of lighting allows the creation of a unique, attractive and functional outdoor environment. Depending on the characteristics, needs and size of the plot. The most popular are:
- Ambient lighting. Provides a soft, diffused light that creates a cosy atmosphere throughout the space. It is used to illuminate large areas of the garden or terrace, such as lawns or flower beds. LED strips installed in structures are very common options.
- Accent. Used to highlight specific features of the plot, such as trees, shrubs, sculptures or architectural elements. Directional spotlights, floodlights or ground recessed lights are ideal for creating light and shadow effects and highlighting certain parts.
- Functional. This type of lighting is used to provide light in specific areas where greater visibility and functionality is required. For example, lighting the barbecue area or the outdoor dining table. Floor lamps, wall sconces or pendant lights are the most common options for these rooms.
- Lighting of paths. It is important to adequately illuminate paths and tracks on the plot to ensure safety and facilitate night-time mobility. Beacons or ground lights along the path are an excellent option for marking the route.
- Water. If you have a pool, pond or fountain in your plot, water lighting can add a special touch. The lights submersible or strategically placed fountains around the water can create stunning visual effects during the night.
- Decorative. to add a special touch to your plot. This may include pendant lights, lanterns or lanterns of lights to create a festive and charming atmosphere.
How to choose the best lighting for the garden or outdoor terrace on a plot or garden?
Outdoor lighting is not only practical, it can also enhance the beauty of outdoor spaces. It can make a difference to the usability, appearance and functionality of these spaces.
When choosing the type of lighting for the garden or outdoor terrace of the plot, the following should be taken into account:
- Needs. Before choosing lighting, consider how you will use your garden or terrace - do you need functional lighting for activities such as outdoor dining or reading, or do you prefer more decorative and ambient lighting to create a relaxing atmosphere?
- Style. What is the style and theme of your garden or terrace - is it rustic, modern, tropical or classic? Choose lighting that complements the overall style of your space and blends in harmoniously with the surroundings.
- Durability. Since the lighting will be exposed to the elements, it is important to choose luminaires that are waterproof and weatherproof. Look for products that are rated for outdoor use and have good resistance.
- Energy efficiency. Opt for LEDs, which are more energy efficient and have a longer lifespan than traditional bulbs. This will help you reduce energy consumption and save on long-term costs.
- Placement of lights. Carefully consider where to place lights to maximise their effect. Illuminate focal points such as prominent plants, trees or sculptures, as well as functional areas such as the entrance, dining room or pathways.
Intelligent devices to illuminate the outside of the plot or garden
New technologies make it possible to increase comfort, safety and energy efficiency in the outdoor areas of a plot. They offer the possibility of controlling and adjusting usage times and power. There are countless options and solutions on the market to adapt to the different needs and requirements of each terrace or garden. The most commonly used are:
- Voice-controlled lighting. Integrating your outdoor lighting system with virtual assistants such as Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant will allow you to control the lights using voice commands. You will be able to turn on, turn off or adjust the intensity of the lights without having to get up.
- Automatic scheduling. With smart technology, you can schedule specific times for lights to turn on and off automatically. This is especially useful if you want to simulate being at home when you're away or to light the way at dawn.
- Motion sensors. You can set your lights to turn on automatically when someone approaches the plot, providing security and preventing tripping in the dark.
- Remote control. Using an app on your smartphone or tablet, you can control your outdoor lights from anywhere. If you forget to turn off the lights when you leave the house, you can easily do so at the click of a button.
- Change colours. Some smart lighting technologies allow you to change the colours of your lights and create different scenes to suit different occasions. You can create a relaxing atmosphere with soft, warm lights for an evening in the garden, or use more vibrant, eye-catching colours for an outdoor party.
- Integration with other smart devices. If you have other smart devices at home, such as security cameras or automated irrigation systems, you can integrate them with your outdoor lighting system for an even more complete and synchronised experience.
Maintenance and care of outdoor garden lighting
The maintenance and care of the outdoor lighting of a plot is crucial to ensure that the lights work properly and provide the desired effect and purpose. To maintain and care for the outdoor lighting of the plot, we advise you:
- Regular cleaning. To remove dust, dirt and debris. Use a soft, damp cloth to clean the surfaces and avoid using abrasive chemicals that could damage the materials.
- Check cables and connections. Make sure they are in good condition and show no signs of wear or deterioration. If you find any damaged cables, it is important to replace them immediately to avoid safety problems.
- Bulb replacement. Check exterior light bulbs regularly and replace any bulbs that are burnt out or damaged. Use replacement bulbs of the same type and wattage to ensure optimum performance.
- Protection from weather elements. If outdoor lights are not designed to be weatherproof, consider installing guards or covers to protect them from rain, wind, and other weather elements. This will prolong their life and maintain their performance.
- Control timers and sensors. If your outdoor lighting system uses timers or light and motion sensors, be sure to regularly check their operation and adjust the settings as needed. This will ensure that the lights turn on and off properly.
- Maintenance of buried cables. If you have buried cables for outdoor lighting, be sure to inspect them regularly for damage caused by digging, animals, or other factors. Make repairs or replacements as necessary and protect the cables with appropriate conduit or conduit.